Abortion pills are meant for early abortions i.e. up to the ninth week of pregnancy. It has emerged as the most widely used alternative to surgical abortion. A woman must never try medical abortion herself if she has been pregnant for more than 9 weeks. There are several adverse effects of taking abortion pills, so the safest way is to take them under medical supervision.
Women are often confused as to when they must take the abortion pill. Here is how you can prepare for an abortion:
Preparing for Abortion
- Abortion pills must be taken only when you are hundred percent sure of aborting the pregnancy.
- If you have made up your mind, then it is recommended that you get an ultrasound done before taking mifepristone or misoprostol.
Importance of getting an ultrasound done before taking an Abortion Pill
- With an ultrasound you will get a clearer picture of whether the pregnancy is in the womb or if it is an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the womb or uterus). In the later case one must never take abortion pills as it can have unfavourable effect and can even endanger life. When abortion pills are taken in ectopic pregnancy it can result in bursting of the fallopian tube causing fatal outcomes.
- Ultrasound also shows the exact duration of pregnancy i.e. for how many weeks a woman is pregnant.
- In case the pregnancy is of more than 49 days, then abortion pills must not be taken without medical supervision.
Abortion pills should be taken with the first two weeks of pregnancy
According to the Feminist Women's Health Center, if the abortion pill is taken within first two weeks of pregnancy and in the directed manner it can be 95-97% effective. It must be remembered that proper medical guidance is needed if the patient is severely ill. Such medical conditions include chronic adrenal failure, anaemia, cardiovascular disease or uncontrolled seizure disorder. Abortion pill must be taken within 49 days from your last menstrual period or else its effectiveness drops resulting in complications such as irregular and prolonged bleeding even after abortion.
Image source: Getty Images
Read more articles on Abortion.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.