What is the treatment of Tooth Discoloration?
Treatment depends on the cause of the tooth discoloration. Bonding, veneers and certain over-the-counter whitening agents are some of the most used techniques for tooth discoloration.
- Teeth can get discoulored due to stains on the surface.
- Treatment depends on the cause of the tooth discoloration.
- Bonding and veneers are used for tooth whitening.
- Over-the-counter whitening agents can also be used.
Teeth can get discoulored due to stains on the surface or by alteration of the tooth material. Discoloration may occur when the outer layer of the tooth (the enamel) is stained. This may be caused by coffee, wine, cola, tobacco, smoking. In some people discoloration may occur because of changes in inner structure of the tooth (the dentin which may become dark or get a yellow tint).
The common reasons for tooth discoloration are as follows.
- Excessive exposure to fluoride during early childhood,
- Exposure of unborn child to tetracycline antibiotics,
- Use of tetracycline antibiotics in children younger than 8 years,
- Trauma to the teeth.
Tooth discoloration may be age-related in some cases. This occurs due to discoloration of tooth enamel and the inner structure of the tooth – the dentin. Dentin has a naturally tendency to turn yellow over time. Rarely tooth discoloration may be due to an inborn condition called dentinogenesis imperfecta. The teeth in this disorder are discolored gray, amber or purple.
The treatment of tooth discolouration depends on the cause of the discoloration. Some commonly used measures for it are:
- maintaining good dental hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly
- bonding, veneers and certain over-the-counter whitening agents
Practice preventive measures such as good brushing and flossing, reducing intake of coffee, smoking, tea. Consult your dentist if you have stained teeth.
Read more articles on Tooth Discoloration.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 25, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.