Acute sinusitis creates a cavity around the nasal passage making breathing through nose difficult. People suffering from acute sinusitis experience facial pain, headache, and fever often.
Acute sinusitis leads to cavities around the nasal passages and becomes inflamed. This leads to a blocked drainage and causes the mucus to build up.
When a person suffers from acute sinusitis their breathing through nose could be interrupted. The area around the eyes swells up and a facial pain and headache may occur.
What are the Symptoms?
The signs and symptoms of acute sinusitis may include:
- Flow of thick, yellow, or greenish discharge from the nose or back in the throat.
- Breathing troubles or congestion making it troublesome to breathe through nose.
- Pain around the area of the eyes, cheeks, nose, or forehead.
- Inability to smell or taste.
- Coughing which become worse during night time.
- Pain in the ear
- Aching upper jaw and teeth
- Bad breath
What are the Risk Factors?
A person can be at an increased risk of suffering from acute sinusitis if they have:
- Hay fever or any other allergy which triggers sinus problems
- An abnormality in the nasal passage like deviated nasal, septum, nasal polyps, or tumours.
- Medical conditions like cystic fibrosis, GERD, or a problem with the immune system such as immunoglobulin
- Exposure to pollutants
Treatment for Acute sinusitis
In most cases, acute sinusitis cannot be cured as they are caused by viruses which are also responsible for common cold. Some DIY techniques can however help to recover fast.
Saline Nasal Spray
This spray can be used several times in a day to open the blocked nasal passage.
Pain killers such as aspirin and acetaminophen can relieve you of the pain.
Other medications include antibiotics, anti fungal medications, and immunotherapy to have a speedy recovery.
Image courtesy: Getty Images
Read more articles on Acute Sinusitis
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.