The rate of progression correlates with the age at onset, meaning that children with early symptoms tend to fare more poorly.
Hallervorden-Spatz is a neurological disorder which causes problems with one’s movement. It is an inherited issue which is rare but serious. The patient’s condition worsens over time and the disorder can prove to be fatal.
Prognosis of Hallervorden-Spatz Disease
As mentioned above, HSD worsens over time and damages the nerves. It results into lack of movement and death by early childhood. If a person is born with HSD, the progression of their disease is faster than people who develop the disorder during adult life. Life expectancy of affected patients has become better with medical advancement and people with late-onset of HSD may live up to adulthood.
The not-so-good outlook of HSD in patients is because there is no cure of it. Only the symptoms can be treated and the treatment course may vary from person to person. Treatment options may include both therapy and medications.
- Physical therapy works at relieving muscle rigidity, muscle spasms and other .muscular issues.
- Occupational therapy aims at teaching patients to develop skills for daily life and retain your current abilities.
- Speech therapy is useful for dysphagia or speech impairment.
- Methscopolamine bromide can be used for drooling.
- Baclofen is a muscle relaxer that can treat dystonia.
- Benztropine is an anticholingeric agent used to treat rigidity and tremors.
- Memantine, rivastigmine and donepezil may help dementia.
Along with no cure for it, HSD can also not be prevented. Families with a history of this disease may benefit from genetic counseling.
Read more articles on Hallervorden Spatz Disease.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.