Prognosis of Asthma - Prognosis for asthma greatly depend on the treatment of the person. Asthma can be effectively controlled, if the person is on right treatment and follows doctor's recommendation.
Asthma is a chronic disease which can have symptoms and repeated flare ups for a long time. Many people with asthma need life-long treatment to control symptoms. Read to know more on the prognosis for asthma.
Prognosis for Asthma
If you follow your doctor’s treatment recommendations, the symptoms of asthma can be effectively controlled. If you do not follow your treatment plan or do not go for regular check-ups, you can experience worsening of asthmatic conditions that can hit your ability to function normally. In addition to taking your medications, it is important to learn all you can about your asthma (the trigger factors and asthma control plan) and what you can do to make it better.
Some ways to improve your asthma control are:
- Work with your healthcare provider and his or her support staff and learn about your asthma.
- Avoid trigger factors (pet dander, dust mites, smoke, pollens and certain weather conditions).
- Quit smoking.
- Do not take any medication (cough medicine, herbal preparations, aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen) without your doctor’s advice as many medicines may cause unwanted side effects and worsen your asthma symptoms.
- Take your medications as recommended.
- Follow up regularly with your doctor.
- If your symptoms are not well controlled with your current medications, consult your doctor rather than increasing the dosage yourself.
Medications for asthma can effectively control asthma symptoms but in addition to the medicines you should be aware of your asthma triggers and do what you can to avoid them to improve asthma control and prognosis.
Read more articles on Asthma Diagnosis and Prognosis
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.