What is Inhibited Sexual Desire Problem in Men?
Sex Problems - Inhibited Sexual Desire is the lack of sex drive. They neither initiate sex nor respond favourably to their partner’s desires.
If you or your partner has lost interest in sex, you find yourself too tired for sex; you are frustrated and angry about not having sex or you are not compatible with your partner about how frequently to have sex; these are signs of inhibited sexual desire (ISD). Persons suffering from ISD do not initiate the act of sex and neither do they respond to their partner’s desire for sexual activity.
Characteristics of Inhibited Sexual Desire
- ISD can be primary or secondary. In primary ISD, a person has never felt much sex drive, while secondary ISD means a person who used to be sexually active previously but no longer.
- ISD can be person specific, i.e. the person is sexually aroused by other people but not by his or her partner; or general in which he is not aroused sexually by anyone.
- In extreme cases of ISD, a person not only loses interest in sexual act but finds sex repulsive.
- At times the sex drive is not inhibited but only different from the partner. The interest level in having sex is normal in both the partners but they do not match with each other.
- Some people are sexually overactive and they claim that their partner has ISD. Such persons can be abnormally demanding in having sex.
The most common cause of inhibited sexual desire is lack of intimate feeling for the partner. Problems in communication, lack of affection, conflicts, power struggles and not being able to spend time together can cause it. Diseases and some medications can also lead to ISD, especially those that are associated with pain, fatigue, or any feeling of not being well.
A lack of some types of hormones can at times be the cause too. Psychological factors that cause depression and too much stress can diminish sexual desire. Hormonal changes also have an effect on the libido.
Some factors that cause ISD can be easily overlooked. Insomnia or lack of sleep is one of them. It causes fatigue which in turn leads to ISD. The psychological factor associated with certain sexual dysfunctions can result in disinterest in sexual intercourse.
A woman with pain during intercourse or a man with erection problems would not be interested in sex, not so much for the inability but because it becomes associated with failure. Childhood sexual abuse, rape and marriages without emotional intimacy are mainly responsible for inhibited sexual desire.
Read more articles on Sex Problems
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Dec 19, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.