What is the expected duration of Scrotal Tongue?
- It's condition in whihc the tongue develops cracks and grooves.
- The grooves could be deep or shallow.
- The grooves can occur on any side of the tongue.
- Scrotal tongue is a lifelong condition.
Scrotal tongue is condition when the tongue develops cracks and grooves. These grooves could be deep or shallow and can occur on any side of the tongue. But most of the fissures occur on the middle of the tongue. The condition is often harmless.
Characteristics of Scrotal Tongue
The characteristics include:
- Appearance of cracks, grooves or clefts on tongue
- The grooves affect the tongue
- The grooves may be deep as 6 mili meters
Causes of Scrotal Tongue
The exact of cause is not known yet but some of the predicted causative factors that may cause scrotal tongue include:
polygenic mode of Inheritance
Melkeresson- Rosenthal Syndrome
Injury to oral cavity or tongue
Since it harmless condition, it usually has no symptoms. But some common symptoms from deep groves include
- Burning sensation on eating
- Bad breath
- Fungal infections on the tongue
What is the Expected Duration?
Scrotal tongue is a lifelong condition. It can neither be prevented nor treated. It causes no harm or discomfort.
Image Courtesy : Getty
Read more articles on Understand Scrotal Tongue
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 12, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.