If you have dry mouth it indicates that your saliva or spit is not sufficient to keep your mouth moist. All of us have experienced a dry mouth at some time or other, especially when nervous, upset or under stress.
We all know that saliva is necessary to moisten the food and to cleanse the mouth and when you don’t make enough saliva; your mouth gets dry and uncomfortable. A condition called nxerostomia, popularly known as dry mouth. It is more common in elderly people. Dry mouth can affect the speech, swallowing, dentures and can even increases the bacteria in the mouth causing bad breath and tooth decay in the long term.
Causes of Dry Mouth
- Side effects of certain medications and medical conditions like Sjogren’s syndrome.
- Side effects certain treatment medical treatments.
- Nerve damage to the head and neck
- Damage to the salivary glands
- Dehydration, surgical removal of the salivary glands
- Smoking and chewing tobacco
Symptoms of Dry Mouth
- A sticky and drying feeling in the mouth
- Frequent thirst
- Sores in the mouth and a dry a feeling in the throa
- A burning and tingling sensation in the mouth
- A dry, red or raw tongue
- Facing problems while speaking, trouble tasting, chewing and swallowing
- Hoarseness, dry nasal passages and sore throat, bad breath
How is it Treated?
If your taking certain medications that may cause dry mouth, then ask your doctor to adjust your dose or ask him to switch you to a different drug that does not cause dry mouth. Your doctor may also prescribe you an oral rinse that will help in restoring moisture or he/she may also prescribe a medication that boosts saliva production called Salagen.
Some other ways that can help you improve the saliva flow:
- Suck on sugar free candy or chew sugar free gum
- Drink plenty of water
- Use a fluoride tooth paste
- Avoid breathing through mouth
- Use an over- the- counter artificial saliva substitute
The prognosis depends on the underlying cause of the dry mouth. The focus should be on the removal of the cause and if the cause can’t be eliminated, then the affected person should be prevented from getting caries and candida yeast infection. Simple techniques can be used to stimulate the saliva like by taking a substitute for saliva and protecting the teeth and surrounding tissues. Good prognosis can be achieved by avoiding the side effects of dry mouth.
Image Courtesy: Getty
Read more articles on Dry Mouth
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.