What is Burning Mouth Syndrome?
An ongoing (chronic) or recurrent burning in the mouth without an obvious cause is known as burning mouth syndrome. It causes discomfort in your tongue, gums, lips, inside of your cheeks, roof of your mouth or widespread areas of your whole mouth.
- Recurrent burning sensation is mouth is called burning mouth syndrome.
- It causes discomfort in your tongue, gums, lips, inside of your cheeks.
- It can appear suddenly and can be severe.
- The cause of burning mouth syndrome often can't be determined.
Burning mouth syndrome is the medical term for ongoing (chronic) or recurrent burning in the mouth without an obvious cause. The discomfort may affect your tongue, gums, lips, inside of your cheeks, roof of your mouth or widespread areas of your whole mouth. Burning mouth syndrome appears suddenly and can be severe, as if you scalded your mouth.
Unfortunately, the cause of burning mouth syndrome often can't be determined. Although that makes treatment more difficult, don't despair. By working closely with your health care team, you can often get burning mouth syndrome under better control.
Other names for burning mouth syndrome include scalded mouth syndrome, burning tongue syndrome, burning lips syndrome, stomatodynia and glossodynia.
You can try these self-care tips to help ease the pain of burning mouth syndrome.
- Sip water frequently.
- Suck on ice chips.
- Avoid irritating substances like hot, spicy foods; mouthwashes that contain alcohol; and products high in acid, like citrus fruits and juices.
- Chew sugarless gum.
- Brush your teeth/dentures with baking soda and water.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco products.
Talk with your dentist and doctor about other possible steps you can take to minimize the problems associated with burning mouth syndrome.
Read more articles on Burning Mouth Syndrome
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Dec 27, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.