The complications of diabetes are common and less severe in people, who can manage their blood sugar levels. Try these simple ways to avoid diabetic problems.
Diabetes is often associated with several complications apart from an elevated blood sugar level. Often, chronic diabetes has been associated with permanent organ damage, loss of vision, nerve damage, slower healing of wounds etc. It is, however, perfectly possible to lead a healthy life with diabetes! Ideally, you need to start by gathering correct information about the disease, consult your doctor to come to terms with the ways to avoid diabetes complications and manage your blood sugar levels with vigilance.
Ways to Avoid Diabetes Complications
- Most complications associated with diabetes stem from poor blood sugar management and control. Therefore, one of the first steps to undertake would be to consult your doctor about the effective management of sugar levels in the blood. Your doctor will help you with medications or resort to insulin shots to control the disease. Similarly, he will also suggest lifestyle changes that will enable you to lead a healthy and active life.
- Smoking will increase your susceptibility to complications related to diabetes. A chain smoker is more likely to develop strokes, cardiovascular complications, kidney diseases and nerve damage. Therefore, one of the earliest things you would be required to do is to kick the butt before it kicks you.
[Read: 10 Power Foods for Diabetics]
- High levels of cholesterol in blood coupled with hypertension and high blood sugar can lead to serious health complications. It can make you an ideal candidate for developing cardiovascular complications. Therefore, make sure that your blood pressure as well as your blood cholesterol levels is adequately monitored from time to time. Switch to healthy eating and consider including regular physical activity in your routine to remain healthy and fit.
[Read: How Exercise Help Diabetics]
- One of the most important ways to avoid diabetes complications is to consider an annual eye check up without fail. Diabetes affects your eyesight adversely and regular checkups will help you resort to proactive measures well in time.
- A renal profiling has to be done as well for checking if your kidneys are in order. High levels of sugar in the blood can lead to complete destruction of kidney function.
- Diabetes can also expose you to gum infections, therefore, regular dental checkups will also be mandatory for checking on them. You will be advised to brush your teeth twice daily and floss regularly.
You must also keep an eye for foot infections and have your vaccination chart updated when diagnosed with diabetes.
Read more articles on Diabetes Treatment
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.