Currently, there are no known or specific ways to prevent fibromyalgia. Some strategies that can possibly reduce the risk of fibromyalgia or prevent the worsening of the disease include regular exercises, adopting a healthy lifestyle, healthy eati
The exact cause of fibromyalgia is not known and there is no cure for the disease. Currently, there are no known or specific ways to prevent fibromyalgia.
Some strategies that can possibly reduce the risk of fibromyalgia or prevent worsening of disease include the following.
- Try relaxation: Consider doing meditation, yoga or any other relaxation exercise you like. Relaxation techniques are easy ways in which chemicals in the body can be changed in a positive way to improve symptoms, such as pain, sleep and stiffness of the body.
- Reduce stress: Reducing stress by meditation, listening to soft music or doing deep breathing exercises can relax the mind and decrease sensitivity to pain.
- Exercise regularly: Do regular exercises or any other physical activity (moderate physical activity for 30 minutes on most days of the week is adequate). Regular exercises help to improve muscle strength, increase circulation and promote sound sleep. In addition to this, exercising increases the secretion of natural pain killers, i.e. endorphins in the body. Massaging with oil is also helpful in treating fibromyalgia as it has soothing effects and prevents fibromyalgia flare-ups.
- Eat healthy: According to some experts, elimination of processed foods containing artificial colours and preservatives can be helpful in fibromyalgia prevention. Simple or refined sugars must also be limited in your diet. A healthy diet to prevent fibromyalgia should include plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and nuts.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco: Refraining from the use of tobacco and alcohol may help to prevent fibromyalgia or worsening of symptoms in people with fibromyalgia.
- Healthy living habits: Adopt ways of healthy living such as getting adequate rest, sleeping and waking up on time, eating healthy and doing exercises regularly. All these help to prevent many medical conditions including fibromyalgia.
- Follow-up regularly: Regular follow-up with the doctor are recommended for any chronic disease. This gives your doctor a chance to examine you and assess the effectiveness of treatment and modify it if needed.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.