A stinging nettle is all good when consumed, but can have adverse affects if brought in contact with your skin. Find out how you can treat the sting.
Here is a plant that you do not want to touch, the stinging nettle. When consumed, this plant can cure many diseases such as arthritis, anemia, and gout, but when touched, it can cause skin irritation. The leaves of this plant are full of small silky hairs and tiny hollow spikes that contain a chemical irritant which when brought in contact with the human skin breaks off and releases the irritant. So, how do you treat a sting from a stinging nettle? Here is a step-by-step guide to treat a sting from a stinging nettle.
- Cleaning: The first thing that you must do is clean the affected area with a clean wet cloth, towel or a rag and make sure that the water is cold. Also, you must be careful not to rub the affected area too hard as it will agitate the hurt.
- Aloe Vera: Apply aloe vera gel on the affected area of your skin. Aloe vera leaves are anti-inflammatory and hence, will relieve you from immediate pain.[Read: Aloe Vera for Hair Growth]
- Form a Paste: Mix baking soda and water to form a paste. Then, take a clean cloth and dip it in the mixture. Dab the cloth on the affected area to heal the wound and if you do not have baking soda, use vinegar as an alternative.
- Dry: Dry the affected area in open air and protect it from being exposed to substances and surfaces.
Keeping in mind that you will probably be in a place infested by plants when you are stung by the stinging nettle, here is another way to treat your sting.
- Clean: You must clean the area using a clean wet cloth and cold water.
- Dock Plant: Look for dock plants as they grow conveniently near the nettles and snap off a leaf with a stem. These plants have large leaves and thick stem. Rub the leaf on the affected area and you will find that nature has worked her miracles on you in about half an hour.
Be careful when you tread the path of wilderness, the stinging nettle is waiting to let out its wrath on you.
Read more articles on Pain Treatment
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.