Chest pain or symptoms of heart attack are often considered as disease or illness of men. But heart attack and coronary artery disease have become common in women as well. Many women also get the characteristic symptoms of heart attack like:
- Heaviness, pressure, fullness or squeezing pain in the center or left side of the chest, which may extend to the neck, shoulder or jaw;
- Chest discomfort or heaviness with lightheadedness, dizziness, sweating, nausea or shortness of breath
But most women do not have the classical symptoms of heart attack. According to a study 43% of the women did not have "acute chest pain... a 'characteristic symptom in men.’ But according to the author many doctors still look mainly for chest pain and disregard other symptoms that women tend to develop. Hence many times doctors may miss heart attacks in women.
[Read: Symptoms of Heart Attack]
Some experts say that besides the doctors women should also recognize that they may not have chest tightness as a symptom of a heart attack.
The symptoms that women may have include:
- Shortness of breath,
- Unexplained fatigue or tiredness,
- Pressure in the lower part of chest (this makes them think that the symptom is due to a stomach ailment.
[Read: Heart Attack Symptoms in Women]
Other symptoms that women can have include:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Upper abdominal pain or discomfort which may seem like indigestion
- Back pain
Read more on Heart Attack
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.