People choose contraceptives without knowing their advantages and disadvantages. It is important to have knowledge about the contraceptives and associated risks.
Different types of contraceptive are used by people without judging their pros and cons. It is important to have knowledge about the contraceptives and associated risks. Take a look at the pros and cons of contraceptive methods.
Birth Control Pills
Birth control pill (oral contraceptive pills) is an effective way of preventing pregnancy. It is a kind of female hormonal birth control method.
- If used correctly birth control pills are very effective method of preventing pregnancies.
- The pills don’t interrupt in lovemaking.
- They make menstrual cycle regular and comparatively lighter.
- Decrease cramps and acne during menstruation period.
- Decreases the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease, anaemia, ovarian and uterine cancer.
- Must be taken regularly at the same time.
- Birth control pills can occasionally cause side effects such as headaches, nausea, increased appetite and even blood clots in some cases.
- Birth control pills don’t protect you against Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD).
Condoms are the sheath that is worn over penis during sexual intercourse.
- Minimise risk of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. Especially latex condoms are best at providing protection against STDs.
- Are easily available at every pharmacy store, they are economical as well.
- Effective in preventing pregnancy.
- Can interrupt in lovemaking.
- Need to be use with caution as they can even break.
- Some women can be allergic to latex.
- Condoms can be used only once. You have to use a new condom every time you have sex.
Vaginal ring is a method of birth control that has hormones named estrogen and progestin. When the ring is inserted in vagina these hormone are absorbed by vaginal walls and stop ovaries from releasing eggs.
- Vaginal rings effectively prevent pregnancy. However, it is important to use them in the correct manner.
- It decreases menstruation cramps and make the menstrual cycle more regular.
- Another important factor is that vaginal rings don’t interrupt during lovemaking.
- You need prescription to have prescription of your health care provider before using the vaginal rings.
- Side effects of vaginal ring are similar to that of the oral contraceptives. For instance, they can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, breast tenderness, fatigue, change of appetite and moderate weight gain.
- In some of the cases using vaginal ring can lead to vaginal bleeding, skin irritation, yeast infections, and even depression.
Lunelle injection is a hormonal method of contraception where in, synthetic hormones named estrogen and progestin are injected in upper arm or in buttocks.
- Unlike the condoms, lunelle don’t interrupt in your sexual intercourse.
- Very effective in preventing pregnancies. The failure rate of Lunelle injections is less than one percent.
- Can cause nausea, dizziness, breast tenderness, fatigue and change in appetite.
- It increases the risk of heart attack, blood clots, gallbladder disease and tumors in the liver.
- You need to consult your health professional before taking lunelle injections.
- One needs to take it again after every 20 to 30 days.
Read more articles on Conraception.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.