A live-in relationship is an alliance that people enter into in order to satisfy their various needs. Some people enter into one because they believe they are madly in love. Others do the same because they believe it will help them understand and know their partner better and will also aid in sculpting a better future with this person. There are advantages and disadvantages in every relationship and the same is true for live-in relationships too.
Pros of Live-in Relationships
- A live-in relationship lets a person see what living with her/his partner can actually be like. It is a step one can take before getting into an institutionalised arraignment such as marriage.
- A live-in relationship allows couples to spend more time with each other as now they are not bound by the constraints of time.
- Live-in relationships expose the level of love and intimacy as they stand between couples. A couple living together will get to know how much they care for and love each other and what are the various impediments in this liaison of theirs. It also brings relationship problems to the forefront before the final step of marriage is taken.
- Many couples believe that they should enter into a live-in relationship before taking the final plunge. Because in case some issues arise that absolutely cannot be sorted, the relationship can be ended without getting into a legal battle in most cases.
- Another considered advantage of live-in relationships is that because they currently fall outside the ambit of societal structure, the adverse influence of society can be avoided in them. This means that live-in relationships do not follow the otherwise necessary diktats of society. The burdens of social relationship are less in a live-in relationship and it actually helps a relationship blossom further.
Cons of Live-in Relationships
- In simple words a live-in relationship leaves nothing to be discovered by the couple post marriage. Routine already sets in between live-in relations and there is anxiety or expectancy left for to be realised after marriage.
- Because there are no specific laws to deal with the intricacies of live-in relationships in most countries, the incidence of major problems in these cases are on the rise. Many people are duped of their assets in live-in relationships. Cases of verbal and physical abuse are also quite rampant in live-in relationship despite the fact that live-in relations are considered more ‘modern’.
- A potent disadvantage of live-in relationship is social censure. Because these relationships have not yet been awarded the stamp of social acceptance, they are looked at with scorn. Many couple in live-in relationships prefer to call themselves married fearing rejection. This primarily causes problems in relationships.
- It is very difficult to move into another relationship after a live-in relationship. Live-in relationships require a lot of time, energy and devotion. The most important fact is that in a live-in relationship two people decide to share their lives. And if such a relationship comes to an end it takes a toll on the mental health of people.
Read more articles on Relationship Help
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth App.