The Mughals kings, who ruled India for almost three hundred years, loved eating rich, creamy dishes and entertaining. This formed an essential part of their lavish lifestyle. Serve the royal flavour to your friends and family and make them feel treasured…
Ingredients (Serves 6)
* Butter- 200 gm slab
* Garlic-4-5 cloves
* Ginger - 2inch piece
* Green Chilli-1
* Onions- 2
* Tomatoes- 16 ounces
* Cloves -9-10
* Cumin Seeds-2 tsp
* Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
1. Cut one 3-lb chicken, skin removed, into 10 pieces.
2. Combine and fry for 15 seconds: 4 garlic cloves, halved 1 medium fresh hot green chili, seeded, one 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped.
3. Add and fry for 15 seconds: 2 cups finely chopped onions.
4. Add and process for another 15 seconds: 8 cardamom pods, cracked 9 cloves
5. Set aside.
6. Heat in large saucepan/ skillet: 3 Tablespoons butter (heat until foam is going down)
7. Brown on medium heat: 1/2 the chicken pieces ("lightly browned on all sides) Transfer to plate, repeat with 3 more tablespoons butter and remaining chicken.
8. Add to pan and cook, stirring constantly: The rest the butter The garlic/ onion/spice mixture Cook it for 10 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
9. Add and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly: 2 teaspoons cumin seeds 1 teaspoon chili powder (unspiced ground chili peppers) One 1 1/2 inch piece cinnamon stick
10. Add and cook, stirring often, 10 minutes: One 16 ounce can whole tomatoes, chopped, with juice 1/2 teaspoon salt.
11. Add the chicken and its juices
12. Reduce the heat to low, cook covered 30 minutes, until chicken is tender and sauce is thickened.
13. Garnish with 1/4 cup fresh coriander.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
* Medium Onions - 2
* Milk - 1 cup
* Chopped Fresh Ginger - 2tbsp
* Punjabi Garam Masala - 2 tbsp
* Butter or Vegetable Oil - 6 tbsp
* Ground Turmeric -1tsp
* Chicken, skin removed, cut-1200-1500 gms
* Fresh Green Chilli - 2-3 minced, into small pieces
* Fresh Plain Yogurt -1cup
* Salt And Ground Red Chilli to taste
* Almonds - ¼ cup ground
* A few strands whole saffron, soaked in 2 tbs. Warm milk
* Walnuts-1/4 cup, ground
* Minced Fresh Coriander
* Melon, Pumpkin Or Squash Seeds -1/4 cup
* Almonds/Cashews for garnish (optional)
1. Put the onions and ginger in a blender or food processor and process into a smooth paste (consistency of apple sauce).
2. Heat the butter or oil in a heavy, deep skillet and gently brown the onion-ginger mixture, stirring often.
3. Add the chicken and yogurt.
4. Combine well and cook over medium heat until the mixture becomes rather dry and the chicken begins to brown.
5. Grind the almonds, walnuts and melon seeds until quite fine.
6. Stir them into the milk, then add the mixture to the chicken along with the garam masala, turmeric, chili peppers, salt and ground red chilli.
7. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the chicken is very tender and the sauce is very thick (about 10-15 minutes).
8. Stir in the saffron/milk mixture and cook 1-2 minutes longer.