Painful sex after hysterectomy - Hysterectomy usually renders the vagina dry and it can lead painful sex right after the procedure. The best way to avoid painful sex after hysterectomy is to talk to your doctors and also try alternative cures for
Hysterectomy has various types and painful sex after a hysterectomy surgery depends on the type of hysterectomy that is performed on you. It is compulsory for the patient to know whether the ovaries are removed or not. This is because the ovaries control hormonal secretions in the body and play a crucial role in having quality sex with your partner. Listed below are advices discussing the influence of hysterectomy on sex.
- It is advised to let the vagina heal before starting an intercourse. Usually a time period of seven to ten weeks after the surgery is recommended as the healing time, in case of a total hysterectomy. In a total hysterectomy, both the uterus and the cervix are removed. In case of a subtotal hysterectomy, only the uterus is removed leaving the cervix behind. This is usually given a healing time of six to eight weeks.
- However, when total hysterectomies are performed, the usual spot of sexual pleasure consisting of the cervix and the clitoris does not remain the same. Therefore, the quality of sexual pleasure does change due to delayed orgasms. A woman, in such cases, after the healing period should find several innovative ways to rejuvenate her sex life.
- The vagina contracts thereby making any sexual intercourse painful in the first place. A slow penetration is recommended, in such cases. Also, at times, hysterectomy destroys the vaginal lubrication. A dry vagina can often make sex painful. An easy alternative would be to find artificial lubricants in the market or try homeopathy for a cure. Allopathy and other external cure are best avoided.
- It is always better to consult your operating surgeon and the doctor before trying sex right after hysterectomy. They would know your bodily conditions better. An informed decision would make a difference in your understanding of the body.
- Hysterectomy, usually meant to remove the estrogen producing ovaries, often leaves the vagina dry. Many doctors do recommend and prescribe taking pills that strengthen the production of estrogen in the body.. However, one should not try over-the-counter medications as it can lead to cancer in the later stages. A proper prescription in terms of dosages and quantities should be medically prescribed. Even a few testosterone shots taken under the guidance of a healthcare practitioner help in curing painful sex after hysterectomy. However, this should again be monitored with great care as the side-effects often lead excessive hair growth on the skin and even change of voice in some cases.
- Hysterectomy is a drastic change that the body is made to undergo. Therefore, couples should take extra precaution and care to avoid painful sex. The idea is to give the body some time to register these changes, take it slowly and understand hysterectomy and all that is involved in the procedure.
Read more articles on Understand Hysterectomy
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.