Intestinal Pseudo Obstruction:Points to Remember
Intestinal pseudo-obstruction is a condition with symptoms like those caused by a bowel obstruction, or blockage.
- It is a condition with symptoms similar to bowel obstruction, or blockage.
- It is caused by nerve or muscle problems.
- It occurs more often in children and older adults.
- Treatment depends on the type and severity.
Intestinal pseudo-obstruction is a condition with symptoms like those caused by a bowel obstruction, or blockage. But when the intestines are examined, no blockage is found.
Below are some of the points about Intestinal pseudo-obstruction to remember.
- Intestinal pseudo-obstruction is caused by nerve or muscle problems that prevent the intestines from contracting normally to move food, fluid, and air through the intestines.
- Intestinal pseudo-obstruction can occur in people of any age, but it occurs more often in children and older adults. Children can have a long-lasting form of the condition called chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction (CIP). CIP in children is usually present at birth.
- Symptoms may include cramps, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, bloating, constipation, and occasionally diarrhoea. Over time, the condition can cause bacterial infections, malnutrition, weight loss, and muscle problems in other parts of the body.
- Diagnosis of intestinal pseudo-obstruction involves checking medical history, a physical exam and x-ray examination. Other testing may be needed, such as manometry to measure the patterns of intestinal contractions.
- Treatment depends on the type and severity of intestinal pseudo-obstruction and may involve nutritional support, medications, surgery, or other procedures. People with ACPO may need procedures to remove gas from the bowel. In severe cases of intestinal pseudo-obstruction, surgery to remove part of the intestine or other intestinal surgery might be necessary.
Read more articles on Intestinal pseudo-obstruction.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Oct 08, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.