Importance of sex education for youngsters
- Youngsters risk their lives when they remain unaware about sex.
- Sex education will expose them to their sexual expression.
- It will protect them from unwanted pregnancies and STDs.
- Intensive training can prevent the prevalence of unauthentic sexual information.
The age of modernisation and progress has virtually opened a Pandora’s Box of opportunities and choices for the youth today. This makes the need for sex education among the youth necessary. The youngsters are unpredictable and the risk-taking streak makes them more vulnerable.
As far as sex education for youth is concerned, one does see an obvious increase in unwanted teen pregnancies, miscarriages, abortions and spread of STDs. This statistical evidence also proves how unaware the youth are in terms of risking their lives. Precautionary measure is the need of the hour. One must know how to tackle the restlessness of the youth and channelise their energies to a more meaningful direction. Sex education will also expose them to their gender identity, family responsibility, body images, sexual expression, intimacy and the marriage relationship.
Imparting sex education to youngsters
- Introducing sex education in school curriculum. This might be implemented in private and government schools with a carefully knitted syllabus covering all the aspects of sex education for youth.
- Various risky behaviours among youth, such as forced sex, indulging in pornography, physical abuse can lead to early pregnancies. This should form the vital part of the curriculum helping the youth to understand the unethical and inhuman aspect of such behaviours.
- It should also provide the knowledge of contraceptives and the difference between various contraception methods, such as morning pills, contraceptives, condoms and finally abortion. This should also include the time duration for taking these precautions. Many girls from varied age groups do not have access to this information and give birth to stillborn babies or even encounter death.
- Colleges and schools can hold debates and discussions on the importance of sex education and sensitise teachers and students.
- A major section of the Indian society lives below the poverty line, therefore, in order to attract the attention of this social stratum, alternate methods of education must be approached. Film screenings and visual media showing the intensity of STDs and life-taking diseases are a few suggestions. Apart from that, free health camps should also be set up that supply condoms and regular health checkups for the underprivileged.
- Make the youth understand, through intensive training programmes, the importance of self worth. Random sexual acts can cause irreparable damage to the human body. Every individual should learn to understand the worth of life.
- Another important point within sex education is to teach the youth about personal hygiene.
- The youth must not allow the generation gap they have with their parents come in the way. Consultation with parents, guardians or trusted authorities can be the best way to put one’s anxieties to rest.
- Prejudice and biases prevent one from understanding the importance of sex education. Every youth must undertake this venture as a responsibility and not just as curriculum.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Sex Education.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Mar 26, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.