If you are a diabetic, it is essential to monitor your blood glucose levels at frequent intervals to ensure that they do not cross their adequate levels. For that you need to use the blood glucose test strips adequately with the lancing device and blood glucose meter.
You will need the following steps in using the blood glucose test strips with a glucose meter:
- You need to be ready with test strips, lancing device and the glucose meter. The lancing device may involve piercing of fingertip, the forearm or leg. Choose one that you are most convenient with.
- Take a test strip and place it in the blood glucose meter. The meter should turn on and start displaying the code on the strip automatically. You need to test this code with that on the vial of test strips to see whether it matches.
- Do not proceed if the codes do not match. You might be required to adjust the code on the meter by using the up and down keys, the process of which would depend on your glucose meter’s manufacturer.
- After you have ensured that the codes are matching, wait for the ready signal to flash on the meter’s screen. It could look like a drop of blood or blood drop on the test strip.
- As soon as you see such a symbol on the screen, place the tip of the lancing device against the side of your finger and push the trigger. Put down the device and extract a drop of blood from the pierced finger.
- Bring the extracted blood drop on the edge of the test strip placed in the glucose meter. Your instruction manual would have the information about the end of the test strip on which blood has to be dropped. There is no other way of being sure.
- The method of applying the drop of blood to the test strip varies in each glucose test manual. Some test strips require you to press the blood droplet on to the strip, others need you to drop the blood on the strip, and some are built to suck the drop after you have lanced your fingertip.
- Wait for the glucose meter to notify you of the reading with a beep or similar sound.
- Discard your used test strip. Your meter will most probably turns off after 2 minutes. You will also need to put a new lancet in your lancing device for the next use.
Read more articles on Diabetes Diagnosis