How to Prepare Healthy Snacks for Kids?
Children are growing and physically active; they need 2-3 nutritious snacks each day between meals to meet their energy requirement. Like meals, the snacks should also be healthy and should be given on a regular schedule. Nutritious snacks are important for satisfactory intake of nutrients and calories. Some snacks which are healthy and nutritious are:
- Fresh fruit salad and juices, vegetable salads, juices and soup; these are rich in fiber, while vitamins and minerals are low in fat, and have no added sugar.
- Fresh fruit, such as apples, bananas, grapes, oranges, mango, etc.
- Dry fruits, such as raisins, almonds, kaju and pistas are considered sticky foods, but they stick to teeth and increase the risk of cavities; after he eats let him brush and floss.
- Home-made milk shakes, low-fat cheese and yogurt
- Whole grain snacks, such as brown bread sandwiches, breakfast cereals, crackers, cereal bars, baked potatoes and popcorn (without added butter).
- Avoid unhealthy snacks like cookies, chips, candy, doughnuts, fruit drinks and soda, these can be given as an occasional treat.
If snacks spoil his appetite for lunch or dinner, avoid them. Snacks should provide about 100 to 150 calories per servings. Don’t allow him to eat snacks at bedtime.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 06, 2013
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.