How to Handle an Open Relationship
An open relationship is one when both partners are involved with more than one person at the same time without any of them having a problem with the other. Dating several women or men at the same time can be perfectly balanced out if the intentions are perfectly honest and vocal. Diplomacy and treachery can spoil the art of handling an open relationship. Most women or men respond reasonably when they are given the truth. This obviously gives them less space and time required for developing jealous feelings for the person in question.
Exclusive relationships can work out between two individuals only when they are in love and share the same level of commitment. Otherwise, the psychology usually calls for an open discussion and confrontation to their respective counterparts to save some last minute hassles and dilemmas.
Let us tackle this question from the start and track down all the possible ways to handle an open relationship:
- Open relationships indirectly signify that the options are not limited. But it is advisable to take on only as many as you can handle truthfully.
- The best way is to tell the truth to the woman and let her know that you are available for an open relationship and nothing more. If the woman or the man is willing enough to explore the option then you have achieved a marginal success. But do not forget to enquire about her current dating status. If she mentions her boyfriend too often, then understand that she is a messy bet. The trick is to look before you leap.
- The questions you discuss should range from a general background of the work he/she does, the car that person drives or common places she/he visits. These questions can actually give you an insight about the person’s personal lifestyle and thought process.
- Never compare yourself with the other person’s previous relationships or other relationships that person has at present. Do not compare him or her with the other partner’s you have. This is probably the only cardinal sin that you can commit while being in an open relationship.
- Enjoying each other’s company is the key to a successful open relationship.
- Stay away from clingy women or men.
- Leave the possibilities open for you and your counterpart. Never be too obsessed with the partners lest they fall out of the relationship.
- Do not appear needy. This is a strict no-no for an open relationship to begin and sustain itself over a period of time. At the same time, do not cling on to him or her just to maintain your count on the women you are dating. If you lose interest in the woman or man you are dating, end the relationship on good terms. Manipulation can lead to further loss of attraction which in turn might make it a messy affair.
Read more articles on Relationship Help
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jun 28, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.