How to Encourage a Friend to Lose Weight
How to encourage a friend to lose weight – Do you want to encourage someone close to you to lose weight? Learn how to be supportive of a relative or a friend who is beginning a weight-loss regimen.
What you should do if your friend is at the brink of being obese? Often, we come across a situation where our close friend or a relative keeps on accumulating fat, without even realising it. In a situation like this, you should take an immediate initiative to help them lose unnecessarily kilos.
If you care about struggle of your loved one who has weight issues, do the following to help them:
- Be a part of their weight-loss program – Involving yourself in their program will encourage them to adopt healthy habits, which includes sticking to healthy food options and following exercise schedule. Make an effort to eat the dishes they have prepared or join gym along with them to be an active participant in their weight-loss efforts.
- Don’t be a coach but cheering fan for encouragement – Finding faults in what they are doing wrong won’t help. Instead, it is better to appreciate their efforts on the things they are doing as per a weight-loss manual. In other words, make sure you laud their efforts after they have accomplished goals.
- Understand their concerns and worries – Make an effort to understand what is causing them trouble or is the inroad in their weight loss schedule. Moreover, identify the reasons stopping them to make a whole-hearted attempt for reducing excess fat from their skin.
- Encourage them for healthy lifestyle change, not just weight loss – Rather than dictating the rules of weight loss or what they need to do, encourage them for a healthy lifestyle change, which include other activities, games and work they do on a daily basis.
- If they have had a bad day, don't be cruel but supportive – Make sure you ask them about their progress every day. If they falter on some day, listen to their reason for not being able to pull it off. They may hesitate to talk to a trainer when things don’t go as scheduled, get them to turn to you so that they can talk it out. Don’t act as you are the referee of their life, asking them questions such as ‘Why didn’t you stick to the plan?' or 'Why did you eat that?'.
These are some of the advices that can help your dieter or a friend to lose weight. The basic idea is to show them that you care about them overall, not just about weight problems. In other words, it is to let them know that they can count on you to get out of the weight trouble.
Read more articles on Weight Loss
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Aug 16, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.