How to Cure Sprained Ankle with Ayurveda?
Ankle Sprain Treatment- This article brings to you different ayurvedic methods to cure a sprained ankle.
Ayurveda, an ancient Indian form of treatment believes that an ailment or injury occurs when the delicate balance between ‘vata’ (the energy of movement), ‘pitta’ (the energy of metabolism) and ‘kapha’ (the energy of forming the body structure) is disrupted. To cure a sprained ankle with ayurveda, we have to return this balance and remove ‘ama’ i.e. the toxins from the body.
Curing a Sprained Ankle with Ayurveda
- Complete rest is advised. You should not walk with a sprained ankle. Use crutches, if movement is a must.
- A cold compression with ice can be done for some time, especially when your foot is not elevated.
- Have a lot of ghee with figs and dates to build tissue and energy in your body.
- Eat blanched and peeled almonds for energy. Remove the skin as it might contain toxins.
- Drink plenty of hot water to remove ‘ama’ (toxins) from your body.
- Place a teaspoon of black coffee in a bandage which you wrap around the injured foot.
- Soak the outer leaves of a cabbage in water. Then, wrap these soaked leaves around the ankle for 10-15 minutes for prompt relief.
- Soak your ankle in a bowl of warm water with lavender oil added to it.
- Massage the sprained ankle with a mixture of almond oil and garlic oil. This will increase the blood circulation in the region.
- Boil nirgundi or karjana leaves after wrapping them in a cotton cloth. Apply this to the sprained ankle. Repeat the process for relief.
- Put chopped onions in a muslin cloth and wrap it around the ankle for relief.
- Massage the injured area with a mixture of sunflower oil and camphor oil to soothe the pain.
- Include pineapples in your diet to aid the healing process.
- To get relief from intense pain drink a glass of warm milk with some turmeric powder added to it. Turmeric is known to have antiseptic properties.
- Massage the affected area with a teaspoon of honey and lime juice.
- To heal the sprain, apply a paste of lime leaves and butter. Leave it on for some time.
A sprained ankle may cause immense pain to the sufferer since the ligaments around a joint get torn. Follow the RICE method –Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate – and the simple measures mentioned above to cure a sprained ankle safely.
Read more articles on Ankle Sprain
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Sep 30, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.