How Common are Collagenous Colitis and Lynphocytic Colitis?
- Inflammation of large intestine id known as microscopic colitis.
- The condition leads to watery diarrhea.
- It is of two kinds, collagenous colitis and lymphocytic colitis.
- Pain or cramps in abdomen are some of its symptoms.
What is Microscopic Colitis?
An inflammation of the large intestine that leads to continuous watery diarrhea is known as microscopic colitis. The disease gets its name from the need that the colon tissue has to be examined under a microscope to indentify the condition. There are two kinds of the microscopic colitis: collagenous colitis and lymphocytic colitis. In collagenous colitis a thick layer of protein develops in the colon tissue while in lymphoctic colitis in which white blood cells increase in colon tissue.
What are the Symptoms?
The symptoms of microscopic colitis include:
Chronic watery diarrhea
Pain or cramps in the abdomen
What are the Causes of Microscopic Colitis?
The reason behind the inflammation of the colon found in microscopic colitis is yet to be known. The causes believed to be the disease by the researchers are:
- Medicines that can irritate the lining of the colon
- Bacteria that can produce toxins which irritate the lining of the colon
- Viruses that can cause inflammation
- Immune system problems, like rheumatoid arthritis or celiac disease, which take place when the body’s immune system attacks the healthy tissues
How Common is Microscopic Colitis?
Although the occurrence of microscopic colitis is not clear but it is estimated that 10 to 20 percent with chronic diarrhea may have microscopic colitis.
Image courtesy: Getty Images
Read more articles on Collagenous Colitis and Lymphocytic Colitis.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Dec 16, 2014
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.