Natural remedies for kidney stones that really work
- Cut back on food high on protein such as fish roe, herring, mackerel.
- Drink minimum six to eight glasses of water every day.
- For healthy kidneys, vitamin A is an essential ingredient.
- Mixture of olive oil and lemon juice is effective remedy for kidney stones.
Kidney stones causes several health complications such as pain while urinating, high coloured urine that, sometimes, contains blood. Kidney stones can block the urethra and hinder the functioning of kidneys thereby, causing anuria (suppression of urine formation and excretion). Following are some of the home remedies which will help you in the treatment of kidney stones.
Consume less meat and fish
People with uric-acid stones, generally, have a diet rich in animal protein. This protein increases the formation rate of calcium in the body, which eventually builds up stones. Cut back on food high on protein such as fish roe, herring, mackerel, mussels, sardines and shrimp, wine, red meat and sweetbread.
Less intake of vitamin C
An amount of vitamin c more than 3000 mgs per day can be a potent reason for the formation of kidney stones. Our body converts vitamin c into oxalate, which in turn leads in the build up of stones. Therefore, watch out for vitamin C in your diet, but remember it is also an essential vitamin for the body. So, don't cut down on it wholly.
Increase your fluid intake
It is the primary step which reduces the formation of kidney stones. Make sure you drink minimum six to eight glasses of water every day. You can also consume caffeine-free drinks and non-alcoholic beverages, but if you have a tendency of forming kidney stones then avoid consuming decaffeinated tea. You can also consume watermelon as it contains the highest concentration of water when compared to other fruits. Therefore, it is considered beneficial for kidney stones patients.
Increase the intake of vitamin A
For healthy kidneys, vitamin A is an essential ingredient. It is beneficial for the urinary tract and reduces the formation of kidney stones. It can be easily consumed through a balanced diet. Food rich in vitamin A are carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squash and broccoli. An excess of vitamin A can also be toxic as your body will not be able to excrete it; so, do not overeat it.
Olive oil and lemon juice
Another effective remedy for kidney stones is the mixture of olive oil and lemon juice. Take the same amount of olive oil and lemon juice i.e. 2 oz, mix them and drink straight. Follow it with a glass of water. It will significantly decrease the stone pain and alleviate the formation of kidney stones.
Some more juice
- You can consume 1 cup of juice prepared with radish leaves. It should be taken two times a day.
- Take three slightly raw ladyfingers, cut them into thin long pieces and soak them overnight in two liters of water. In the morning, take out the ladyfingers from the water and squeeze their juice into the same water. Drink the entire water after one to two hours.
- For one month, boil two figs in a cup of water and drink it.
- In the morning, take a glass of tomato juice, but add a pinch of salt into it.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Home Remedies.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 24, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.