Newborn Care - Know how you can treat the diaper rash of your child at home with some simple yet effective remedies.
Diaper rashes in babies mainly arise due to moist and unhygienic conditions around the diaper area, that provide favourable conditions for yeast and bacterial infections. Diaper rash in severe forms causes extremely irritable conditions often demanding medical intervention. These rashes are slightly different from other dermatitis conditions and reduce gradually with the growth of the baby. The tender and sensitive skin of the baby renders it more vulnerable to diaper rashes. Parents should always take care in keeping the diaper area clean and dry, and avoid the usage of ill fitted diapers.
Diaper rash appears in the form of small and big red patches on the lower abdomen, genital areas and buttocks. Sometimes red pus filled blisters, sores and ulcers are also observed around the diaper area. These rashes cause itching and burning sensations causing extreme discomfort to babies.
According to paediatricians, proper air circulation should be provided in diaper covered areas through well fitting diapers to avoid moisture build up. Dr. Morris Green, M.D., Chairman of Paediatrics at Indiana University School of Medicine strongly favours the use of super absorbent quality diapers. The ultra-absorbent gel in these diapers considerably reduces the wetness and maintains the normal pH balance of the skin.
Keeping the diaper area clean and dry helps both in prevention and fast healing of diaper rashes. Diaper rash does not pose any serious health problem and can be cured easily through simple diaper rash remedies.
Home Remedies for Diaper Rash
- Add few teaspoonful of oatmeal powder in the bathing water, and place the bottom area of the baby in the water for some time. It will quickly heal the diaper rash.
- You can also add baking soda instead of oatmeal to treat diaper rashes of babies.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel on the affected areas after bathing. The gel will have a soothing effect on the blisters and ulcers reducing the symptoms to a great extent.
- You can also apply a mixture made of a few drops of essential oils of peppermint, sandalwood and lavender in six drops of sweet almond oil, on the diaper rashes. These oils are very effective in healing blisters and patches caused by the rash.
- Application of the oil from cod liver oil capsules or a mixture of castor oil and water are quite popular home remedies for diaper rash.
- You can also use good quality Vaseline or petroleum jelly to treat this condition. Vaseline has a soothing effect on the inflammation reducing the discomfort of the baby.
- Application of Milk of Magnesia on the affected areas is also beneficial.
- Soak homemade nappies in a mixture of vinegar and water before washing. Then thoroughly wash the soaked nappies in clean water and leave it to dry. Avoid using detergents as the chemical residue after washing may cause diaper rash.
It is important to keep the diaper areas of the babies clean and dry in order to prevent bothersome diaper rash. Changing diapers at regular intervals and proper cleaning of homemade diapers are other significant measures in preventing this disorder. Always use baby products from trustworthy brands or those recommended by doctors. Do not use perfumed baby toiletries as these may cause diaper rashes.
Read more articles on Newborn Care
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.