Back pain is a common problem of pregnancy. During pregnancy, you might experience pain at any point in time during your trimesters. However, it is more common during the latter months of your pregnancy cycle. It can disturb your daily schedule and hinder with your sleep.
Many causes lead to back pain during pregnancy. Overweight women and women who suffered from chronic back pain before pregnancy are the most at risk for this kind of pain. Some of the other causes are:
- During pregnancy, women gain somewhere between 10-20 kgs. Extra weight puts more stress on the spine and leads to lower back pain
- As your uterus and your baby grows, the centre of gravity will move forward which will result in a posture change
- Bending over or standing for a long time can trigger the pain
- Stress builds up in the work areas of the body and could escalate back pain, especially during the stressful periods of your pregnancy
- During pregnancy, a hormone called relaxin is released which allows ligaments in the pelvic area to relax and the joints become loose, leading to pain and instability
But don’t worry, you are not alone. More than eighty per cent of pregnant women report lower back pain. Exercise is an effective way to get relieved from lower back pain and take care of your fitness during pregnancy.
Through kegel exercises, you can work to strengthen the muscles that support the growing abdominal and other organs. In this exercise, you need to contract muscles between the area of vagina and anus. Hold on for 10 seconds and then release. This can be repeated for two to four times a day.
Another helpful exercise to relieve lower back pain during pregnancy are the pelvic tilts. Besides this, it also helps to increase hips' mobility. This exercise comprises of very subtle movements which are helpful in strengthening the lower back muscle. It is considered being the best for those who are seeking back pain relief during pregnancy. It can be done either while standing or just lying down.
- Lay down on the floor with your back straight and knees slightly bent. Your head, shoulders and upper back must be touching the floor. There must be some space between your back and the floor
- Now press your lower back towards the wall. Inhale and hold for a count of ten and then gently release. When you exhale, remember that your abdomen comes towards your back
- Repeat this for about ten times
Walking and Swimming
Walking and swimming are good exercises for relieving back pain during pregnancy. Both of them help to tone the abdominal muscles.
Also read: When to Stop Exercise during Pregnancy
- Towards the end of pregnancy, hips joints loosen-up thus contributing to the back pain during pregnancy. Leg lifts help to tone the thigh muscles
- Lie down on your side with your head resting on your arm
- Move your right leg on a 90-degree angle. If you are not comfortable with this posture, then lift your upper leg straight
- Now repeat the same with your left leg
- Repeat the leg lift for about twenty times (you must stop if you are not comfortable)
- This exercise requires you to twist lower back and spine muscles
- Sit down with your leg crossed
- Now use your left hand to grasp your left foot and place the right hand on the floor, i.e. near your right hip
- Gently twist your upper body and hold for a count of 10
- Come back to centre and then twist on the other side of the body
Read more articles on Pregnancy Exercises.
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth App.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.