Does the Birth Control Pill Affect Fertility?
One of the most frequently asked questions by the users of birth control pills is, “Does the birth control pill affect fertility?” Well the answer for this question is no, birth control pills do not affect fertility. It can be explained through the following points:
- Birth control pills function by preventing ovulation. They produce hormones that stop ovulation. But, as soon as these hormones are out of the body, it starts to function normally. Again it produces follicles that lead to ovulation as it used to before the consumption of birth control pills.
- The bodies of different women act differently. For some, the body becomes normal in few weeks while others may take a few months to normalise. However, in less than three months, most women start to ovulate, which means that their fertility becomes completely normal after stopping the use of birth control pills.
- However, if you had any issues with ovulation before you started the pills; you may experience the same problems after you stop taking the pills. Consumption of pills does not bring any change.
- There is no effect of birth control pills on your fertility irrespective of the duration for which you are on them. The moment you stop taking the pills, your body is ready to conceive.
- Birth control pills do not affect the health of the foetus in any way. Once you have stopped taking the pills, the hormones are out of the body and there are no health issues related to the child who will be born thereafter.
Some of the factors that are associated with delay in conceiving are, the age of the man and woman, women’s exposure to smoking and cigarettes, and her body mass index. If all the other factors are favourable, then there will not be any problem in conceiving because birth control pills do not affect fertility.
Read more articles on Contraception
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Jul 08, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.