Healthy diet before, during and after cancer treatment significantly increase chances of successful treatment. According to American Cancer Society, nutritious diet that include protein, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and carbohydrates gives ovarian cancer patients best chance at remission.
A study done in the University of Illinois at Chicago studied the relation between diet and ovarian cancer survival. Results revealed that women who had greater intake of fruit, vegetables and whole grains were at survival advantage.
Importance of Healthy Diet for Ovarian Cancer Patients
Treatment of ovarian cancer such as radiation and chemotherapy strip off the essential minerals and vitamins from the body. This deprives the patient of the essential nutrients and slows down patient’s recovery.
In addition the side effect of cancer treatment curbs the appetite of patient. Nausea, mouth sores, diarrhoea and anorexia collectively trigger malnutrition. It leads to weakened muscles and immune system. According to the National Cancer Institute, one in five cancer deaths are due to malnutrition. High calorie and protein intake is important to ward off malnutrition and improve patient’s recovery.
Diet for Ovarian Cancer Patients
According to the National Cancer Institute, diet for ovarian cancer patients must have increased amount of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. The fat intake must be less than 30 percent of the total calories consumed. Diet for ovarian cancer patients must include:
- Vegetables are rich source of antioxidants that are helpful in decreasing risk of cancer. Aim for at least six to eight vegetable servings. Broccoli, cauliflower and dark leafy vegetables such as spinach, Romaine lettuce and Swiss chard are good for cancer patients.
- Diet of ovarian cancer patients must include organic fruits. Since they are least exposed to pesticides that have more antioxidants. Blueberries, grapes, strawberries, olives and grapefruit have significant amount of antioxidants, Vitamins C and E. A cancer patient must aim at minimum of three fruit servings on daily basis.
- According to the Cancer Cure Foundation, nuts may also help to suppress cancer growth. Almonds, cashews, pecans, macadamia nuts and walnuts contain antioxidants, quercetin and campferol help to suppress growth of cancer cells.
- To enhance immunity and reduce side-effects of cancer treatment increase intake of selenium. Beta carotene, Vitamin C and E.
- Diet for ovarian cancer patients must not include pickled foods and alcoholic beverages.
Read more articles on Ovarian Cancer Treatment