Candidiasis: When should one seek medical advice?

By  , Expert Content
Jan 23, 2012

Candidiasis can occur in healthy people (children and adults) and people with a weak immune system.

Consult your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms suggestive of some significant medical problem:

  • Vaginal discharge: Women with abnormal vaginal discharge (clear, blood stained or foul smelling) should consult the doctor to confirm the cause. Some of the common conditions that can cause vaginal discharge include yeast infection (candidiasis), gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomoniasis, and bacterial vaginosis. If you have symptoms such as bloody discharge, abdominal pain, fever and increased urination, it may be suggestive of other serious problems that demand immediate medical help. If you have recurrent yeast infection, consult your doctor for a thorough work-up. Recurrent vaginal candidiasis can be caused by hidden diseases such as diabetes, leukaemia or AIDS.
  • Oral thrush: If you have oral thrush (or oral candidiasis), consult your doctor as it needs prescription medication. Children with oral thrush, who do not take fluids for longer than 12 hours, should be evaluated by a doctor. Furthermore, if you have prolonged fever or prolonged problems with feeding, consult your doctor.
  • Diaper rash: Most diaper rash can be treated with over-the-counter nystatin powders or antifungal creams and lotions. If your child has recurrent rash, the rash worsens while you are using over-the-counter medications or lesions do not clear in 1-2 weeks, call your doctor.  Candida infection on other parts of the skin can be treated with nystatin powders or antifungal creams and lotions. Fever, chills, nausea, vomiting etc with rash spreading to other parts of the body may be suggestive of a more serious illness.
  • Candidiasis in people with weakened immune system: Any form of candidiasis in a person with a weak immune system needs a visit to doctor. The infection is suggestive of poor functioning of the immune system. The doctor will evaluate the symptoms and treat them aggressively. Fever, chills, nausea, vomiting etc that is associated with candidiasis is suggestive of a more serious illness, which needs prompt investigation and aggressive treatment.




Is it Helpful Article?YES11108 Views 0 Comment
I have read the Privacy Policy and the Terms and Conditions. I provide my consent for my data to be processed for the purposes as described and receive communications for service related information.
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK