Bandhas for Women
Bandhas for Women - Get read on Moola Bandha (perineum retraction lock) and Vajroli Mudra (thunderbolt mudra) methods and advantages to avoid any health hazards.
Moola Bandha (It is also known as the perineum retraction lock)
- Position yourself comfortably in a meditative pose with your knees placed firmly on the ground.
- Place tour palms on your knees and close your eyes, relaxing your whole body.
- Breathe in deeply and now by retaining your breath, perform jalandhara bandha.
- Now contract the muscles in the region of your perineum and pull them in an upward direction.
- Remain in this pose for as long as you can suitably retain your breath.
- Release the tightening of the perineum and slowly lift your head up while exhaling.
Word of Caution
This bandha must be performed under expert guidance, to avoid any health hazards.
- In this bandha, the region of mooladhara chakra is contracted which forces the apana vayu (vital energy in the abdominal region below the navel) to flow in an upward direction and thereby unites with the prana.
- This asana generates vitality and helps to enlighten the kundalini.
- In this asana the pelvic nerves are stimulated and the associated sexual and eliminative organs are toned.
- This asana aids in strengthening of the sphincter muscles of the anus and intestinal peristalsis is stimulated. It is in this asana that constipation and piles are effectively removed.
- This bandha depicts the ultimate goal of yoga which is to explore and experience the source (mool) of creation by off-putting the modifications of the mind.
Vajroli Mudra (It is also known as the thunderbolt mudra)
- Position yourself in any comfortable meditative asana.
- Position your hands on the knees, shut your eyes and relax.
- Now try to draw your sexual organs upwards by pulling and tensing the lower abdomen and contracting the urinary system.
- This contraction is identical to the one which is made when one has an urge to go for urination, but wishes to hold on for some time.
- This mudra has a strong control on the vajra nadi (psychic channel) which provides the sexual organs with vital energy.
- People who practice this asana are able to control energy which is usually lost with the discharge of the semen.
- This energy can then be used for higher yogic practices.
Read more related articles on Yoga.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 25, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.