Ayurvedic remedies for constipation can be undertaken at home too. In ayurveda constipation is the result of an imbalance of the vata dosha.
Constipation is a medical condition in which a person has difficulty passing faeces or has unusually dry stool. In ayurveda, constipation is known as Ahana. According to ayurveda, constipation occurs due to aggravation of vata (air). High pitta and kapha doshas can also contribute in some of the cases.
Eating food that is difficult to digest, irregular sleeping habits and emotional disturbance are the other causes behind constipation. Among other causes of constipation are inadequate water intake, inadequate fibre in the diet, irregular routine, inadequate activity, eating excessive dairy products, thyroid conditions, neurological conditions, medications, pregnancy and colon cancer.
Triphala – Triphala is herbal mixture that acts effectively on constipation. It is considered the permanent treatment for constipation. Before going to bed, take 2-3 tablets of triphala with warm water.
Virechane –Another effective ayurvedic remedy for constipation is virechane. It can be taken with warm water before going to bed.
Avipattikar – For best results, take 1-2 teaspoon of avipattikar powder with milk.
Gandhak vati – Gandhak vati can be taken with warm water after every meal to reduce symptoms of constipation.
Other ayurvedic medicines – Abhyarishta, Panchasakar, Agastya Rasayana, Abhayadi Modaka, Pancha Sakara and Madhu Yashthayadi are ayurvedic medicines that improve digestion by strengthening the intestinal valves. If the problem is severe then ayurvedic home remedies for constipation can be taken along with the medicines.
- Guava and its seeds provide necessary fibre to diet and thus help to relieve constipation.
- Add foods such as pears, grapes, orange juice and papaya to the diet to overcome constipation.
- Add a little sugar or honey to a glass of milk and drink it twice a day.
- Another ayurvedic remedy to regulate bowel movement is to eat raisins on regular basis. Soak 6 to 8 raisins in hot water. Crush them when they become cool.
- Apply 2 to 3 drops of warm castor oil on the navel before going to bed.
- Ginger tea is an effective ayurvedic remedy for constipation. It facilitates bowel movement.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey to a cup of lukewarm water and drink it on an empty stomach.
- Taking lemon juice with warm water is also helpful.
- Water is very essential for the good working of intestines. Drink a glass of water when you get up in the morning. For better result, leave water in a copper container overnight and drink it in morning.
If you only move your bowels once every three or four days, have a fever, experiencing abdominal pain frequently, pro-longed bloating, very thin stools, blood in your stools, see a doctor immediately.
Read more articles on Ayurveda.
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.