Ayurvedic cure for toothache (dantshool) looks into pacifying the kapha dosha. This mainly focuses on the jaw and tooth area where toothaches originate.
The causes of toothache may be because of cracked tooth, spasm of the muscle while chewing, gum diseases, an exposed tooth root or a cavity in the tooth. A toothache may range from mild, chronic, to sharp and extremely painful. Further, this pain may be aggravated due to high sensitivity to heat or cold and even by chewing.
- According to the ayurveda almost all the diseases occur if food is not digested properly. The aama or undigested toxic material goes into the body and gives rise to various diseases. Thus, it is important to keep teeth and gums healthy so as to eliminate such problems arising out lack of chewing and grinding of food.
- Ayurvedic cure for toothache emphasises the use of clove for treatment—natural oils and extracts from clove oil or keeping 2–3 clove seeds inside the mouth.
- Mix mustard oil with salt and apply this paste on your teeth before going to bed to prevent toothache.
- While 2–3 cloves of garlic are helpful to treat toothache, onion rinses out the cavity and the germs, thus relieving one of toothache.
- Rinsing the mouth with saline water after meals helps cure toothache and even other tooth-related problems.
- One may even put a hot-water pack of an ice pack on the side of the face where the pain is felt.
- Ayurvedic treatment of toothache further suggests using a mixture of boiled guava leaves to rinse the mouth every few hours.
- Almond and vanilla extracts also provide relief to the affected area of the tooth.
- While neemba is well known for its disinfectant properties, babool has been used for centuries in the form of tooth paste due to its healing properties.
- Again, maricha is used to destroy the microorganisms, such as bacteria and maggots, in the teeth.
- A gargle with the bark decoction of Ashoka helps cure teeth disorders.
- Ayurvedic cure for tooth ache also consists of medicines such as Kanchanara (in doses of 2 pills a day) and Irimedadi taila (applied on the affected tooth) that help subside the pain.
Read more articles on Ayurveda