Ayurvedic cure for insomnia aims to treat patient’s nervous distress. Combination of ayurvedic medicines and therapy gives effective results.
Ayurveda views insomnia as an indication of nervous distress that stems out from vata emotions (nervousness, hypersensitivity, worry and anxiety). People with a history of irregular digestion, constipation, systematic dryness and irregular eating habits are more likely to suffer from insomnia. Ayurveda does not swear by the principle of eight hour night sleep. Instead the quantity and quality of sleep needed by person is considered to be crucial for health and for rejuvenating the mind, body and soul.
Ayurvedic Medicines for Insomia
- Pipplomool churna: Before going to bed take a single dose of l.5gm pipplomool churna with water.
- Swamamakhshik Bhasma: Taking 1 gm of swamamakhshik bhasma with jiggery before going to bed.
- Vatakulantaka (125mg) may be taken twice daily with honey.
- Ashwagandha: Take two capsules of ashwagandha twice a day.
- Brahmi: Take two capsules twice a day.
- Mix brahmi (500 mg), amla (I gm) and vacha (500 mg) and take thrice a day with milk.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomia
Sirodhana is a rejuvenating therapy that is specially designed to eliminate mental exhaustion and toxins. In this therapy oil is poured on patient’s forehead from specific distance and for specific time frame. Even though, oil is traditionally use for treatment of insomnia but other fluids like milk is also used. It brings relief to most of the associated factors of insomnia such as anxiety, stress and relaxes nervous system.
Ayurveda also suggests relaxing therapies such as meditation and yoga to cure insomnia.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Insomnia
- Indian Sorrel is a natural sleep inducer. It can be taken in juice form before going to bed.
- Rauwolfia in another effective drug for the treatment of insomnia. It can be taken along with cardamom before going to sleep.
- Celery is yet another herb for relaxing body. It is an effective stress busting drug.
- Another ayurvedic herb for treatment of insomnia is aniseed; unlike the other herbs it is not bitter. It works by relaxing the nervous system.
- Some other ayurvedic herbs for treating insomnia include ashwagandha, brahmi, jatamansi, lemon balm, passion flower and chamomile.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Insomnia
- Take a glassful of celery juice and mix a teaspoonful of honey in it. Have this every night before going to bed. It will assure a restful sleep throughout the night.
- Grind some fried cumin seed to a fine powder. Mix them with the pulp of a ripe banana. Eating this at night induces sleep.
- Celery juice has a calming effect on the nervous system. Mix a teaspoon of honey in a glass of celery juice. Drink this every night before going to bed.
- According to ayurveda, the best way to treat insomnia is to maintain a healthy and stress free lifestyle. This will keep you also help you to avoid several other diseases and infections.
Read More Articles on Ayurveda
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.