Applying makeup on the face is not something that has been done since some while ago. Rather, people have been using makeup since ancient times. Evidence suggests that Egyptians used makeup thousands of years ago. You can understand it if you look at the pictures of the ancient Egyptian queen Cleopatra, who ruled before the birth of Christ (BC). In most of the pictures, she can be seen donning much makeup, prominently highlighting her eyes and other facial features.
This was also common in ancient Rome and Greece and was continued in the medieval ages, and the modern age. Some decades ago, makeup was perceived as something used by actors, performers, or those who were constantly in front of people’s eyes. This changed over time. With capitalism and more and more spread of popular culture, makeup became something that everybody used. Today, not just women, but many men don makeup.
Often people are shamed for both wearing and not wearing makeup. However, it should be up to that person to decide. Some like to apply makeup, it makes them feel more attractive, confident, and happy. For others, it can feel like a hassle. If you are new to it, i.e. you are not too confident about applying makeup, and wondering how to get better at it, here is everything you want to know about it.
What Products Are Needed For Applying Face Makeup?
If you are a makeup beginner, or have some experience with it, but want to perfect the art, there are some basic makeup products that you need. Using them, you can create any look you want, whether it’s the ‘no-makeup makeup look’ or a playful look that is trending.
- Primer: This product is used to make your skin look smooth, and your makeup fresh all day. Whatever be your skin tone, type, and texture, there is a primer for you. Although many women do not use it, it is generally the first product you use for amazing makeup that lasts for a long time.
- Foundation: Next comes foundation, which is applied to even out your skin tone, cover blemishes and even change the colour of your skin. In the beginning, buying a foundation cab be tough, as deciding from the different tones can be challenging. If you are new to it, you should go to a cosmetic store where an expert might help you to decide which foundation you should buy.
- Concealer: If you want to cover your dark circles, blemishes, acne, etc, then you must have a concealer. For acne, you should use one that is similar to your foundation. For dark circles, you should choose the one that not only covers those but also mixes well with your skin tone.
- Blush: If you too want to add a flush of colour to your cheeks, you must have a blush in your makeup kit. Although it adds some colour variation to your makeup, do not go overboard with it, by choosing a very bright blush or using a large amount of it, as that might make you look like a clown, Also, blush comes in various colours, and not just pink, and you should buy the one that looks good on your skin tone.
- Bronzer: Just like blush helps you add a flush of colour to your cheeks, bronzer makes you look sun-kissed. You can choose between a matte and shimmery bronzer. Whatever kind you use, it should look good with your skin tone, and always remember to blend it well.
- Highlighter: A highlighter is used to give you a dash of glow. Just like the foundation, you should buy a highlighter that goes as per your skin tone. It is generally applied on top of the cheekbones, on the bridge of your nose, below your eyebrows, and on your cupid’s bow.
- Face Powder: Just like the primer, face powder helps set your makeup and for it to last for a long time. What powder you should use depends on what effect you want, whether you want to moisturise your skin, or for it to absorb oil.
Other than these, you will also need products for your eye makeup. Whether you need the eye proper, it is for you to decide. You’ll need kajal, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, and eyebrow pencil.
Using these products, you will be able to create any look you want. In the no-makeup makeup look, your makeup is plain, subtle, and crisp, and does not look over the top. It is generally donned for formal set up, such as for work, or if going out during the day. If you are out to a party, or just want to get more creative, you can add some shimmer to your look, by opting for the shimmer makeup look. In this, you add the right amount of sparkle that no one can ignore but take notice.
How To Do Makeup: A Step-By-Step Guide
If you are new to makeup and all those makeup tutorials on YouTube do not seem to work, here is a step-by-step guide on how to do makeup:
- Applying primer is the first step. You can avoid it, but not if you want to have it last all day. If you have dry skin, you must moisturise your skin before applying the primer, for those with oily skin, you can do without the moisturiser.
- Next comes the foundation, which you can apply either with your fingers or with a brush. It is easier to start with the flat areas of the face, before applying it on the T-zone.
- After that, you should use a concealer to conceal the dark circles, any acnes or blemishes. You can apply it with your fingers or with a brush. It is better to use a small amount of it. Apply a few dots under your eyes and blend well. Similarly, apply a little bit of it to cover up blemishes.
- Next comes the bronzer and the blush to give your skin that sun-kissed look, and to add that tinge of colour to your cheeks.
- Next, you have to apply the highlighter to add that glow to your face. You can apply it to any part of your face that you want to highlight.
- After you are done with the overall face, next comes the eyes. First, you can apply eye shadow. The colour depends on your choice, or what look you are going for. For a more subtle look, use an eyeshadow that is similar to your skin tone. You can also use a shimmery one to add a bit of sparkle.
Next comes the eyeliner and kajal. At first, applying eyeliner can be tricky, as using the brush can be a challenge. A trick is to apply a few dots above your eyelashes, and then join them with one single stroke. After applying it, you can apply the mascara, to make your eyes look big and prominent. You can also use an eyebrow pencil to shapen your eyebrow. Lastly, you can complete the look with lipstick. After all that, you can set the makeup by applying a setting spray or powder. Although it is not necessary, but it makes your makeup last for long.
Some Makeup Tips
Now that you have gone through all the makeup products you need, and the step-by-step guide on how to do makeup, here are some tips that might help:
- Always apply the foundation before concealer.
- Although you can apply the foundation and concealer with your fingers, using a brush helps as it helps you to blend the products better.
- You use a concealer to cover your dark circles. A trick is to make a triangular shape with it under your eyes, and blend till where your nose is.
- Before applying lipstick, it is better to exfoliate your lips with a brush. It removes the dead skin cells, making the lips smoother.
- While applying lipstick, it is better to start from the middle, and then move to the edges. It helps getting a better finish.
- You can set your lip colour with a tissue paper. After you apply it, cover your lips with a tissue paper, and tap it with face powder.
- If you use a kajal, you would not want it to smudge. A tip is to dab some eyeshadow powder on it after you have applied the kajal. You can also apply a stroke of eyeliner after applying kajal. This helps lock the kajal in.
- Kajal can be difficult to remove. A trick is to use a cotton swab for it. Just put some cleanser on the swab and clean the kajal with it.
- Also, it is always better to do your makeup under natural light, as artificial light can trick you and your makeup might not come as you wanted it to be.
Using these tips and tricks will make it easier for you to apply makeup. Lastly, remember that makeup can make you look good, but it is equally important to take it off at the end of the day. You can use a good cleanser for that. After that, do not forget to moisturise. These steps will ensure you a clean and healthy skin.