Wilm’s tumour: when should one seek medical advice?

By  , Expert Content
Dec 22, 2011

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Wilm’s tumour in children is often noted by the parent or care-giver as a mass or lump in the abdomen. Many children with Wilm’s tumour in early stages are asymptomatic (without symptoms at all). Wilm’s tumour is a highly treatable and curable cancer if diagnosed in the early stages. If you notice any unusual mass in your child’s abdomen or any symptom related to kidney, consult your doctor.

Consult a doctor if your child has any of the following symptoms:

  • Painless lump or mass in the abdomen (most common presenting symptom of Wilm’s tumour).
  • Abdominal pain or blood in the urine (may be noted in about 25% of cases). In most children, the tumour grows without causing pain and the child feels and appears healthy.
  • Constipation.
  • Nausea and vomiting.
  • Fever (recurrent or persistent: may be low or moderate grade).
  • Loss or reduced appetite.
  • Weight loss.
  • Increase in blood pressure.

Consult a doctor urgently for the following symptoms:

  • Blood in urine.
  • Increase in blood pressure.
  • Severe Nausea and vomiting.

Who to consult

Some health professionals, who can evaluate your child’s symptoms include:

  • Paediatrician.
  • Family physician.
  • Surgeon.
  • Oncologist.
  • Physician assistants.
  • Internists.

These are some symptoms that may occur in your child if he or she has Wilm’s tumour. If the child has one or more of these symptoms, it does not mean it is Wilms tumour. Consult your doctor to diagnose the cause of the symptoms and for an appropriate treatment.



Write a Review
Is it Helpful Article?YES10737 Views 0 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.

  • All
  • Article
  • Slideshow
  • Video
  • QnA