Having and maintaining a healthy body weight is crucial for both physical and emotional wellbeing. Being over-weight or obese is directly linked to increased risks of many lifestyle ailments like
- Diabetes: There is a close relationship between obesity and diabetes, the latter always follows the former. People with an apple shaped figure need to watch out as obesity in this body type can be dangerous as resistance to insulin can occur. In this body type fat gets deposited in the chest, face and abdomen. Excess body fat interferes with the functioning of insulin and metabolism of glucose.
- Cardiac problems and high blood pressure: The excess your body weight is, the harder your heart has to work. Excess body weight also results in increased blood pressure and increased blood fats (cholesterol and triglycerides). Angina is a risk for overweight people where chest pain occurs due to reduced supply of oxygen to the heart. There is an increased risk of death or disability due to sudden stroke without any prior symptoms. People with fat stored in the abdomen rather than hips are at a much greater risk.
- Cancer: Certain types of cancer are very common in overweight or obese people. In overweight women cancer of the breast, uterus, cervix, ovary, gallbladder and colon are the most common types of cancer. In overweight men the risk of rectum, colon and prostrate cancer are higher. Women who are approaching or experiencing menopause and have gained extra kilos are at great risk of breast cancer.
- Arthritis: Osteoarthritis, a joint disorder affecting the knees, back and hips is common in overweight people. The extra weight of the body proves to be stressful for the joints especially the knees, which can be irreparable. Overweight people also start avoiding any exercise regimen as the joint pains become excruciating hence excess weight should be controlled from the very beginning.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): Being overweight can give rise to a serious condition called Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) which is a sleep related breathing disorder in which a person stops breathing many times while asleep. Apart from snoring heavily, breathing can stop for a long duration which may be life threatening. Heart failure or sudden death risks are higher.
- Respiratory problems: People who are overweight or obese are seen to have trouble in breathing as the respiratory system is unable to work efficiently. The prevalence of asthma is also higher in overweight people.
- Sexual problems: Overweight men especially who have abdominal obesity have low levels of testosterone which can cause erectile dysfunction apart from not having a satisfying sex life. Losing weight can do wonders for sparking up your sex life.
- Psychological effects: People who are overweight or obese generally suffer from low self-worth and a pessimistic attitude towards life. Confidence usually gives place to being self-conscious which can hamper social interaction and interpersonal relationships. Overweight people in a bid to overcome their fears start relying on alternative ways like overeating, shopping etc. Losing weight will help people deal with the issue and stop their dependence on any thing else for seeking comfort. Losing weight will also help uplift a person’s pessimistic attitude which will help in leading a balanced happy life.