It may be possible to identify and treat the causes of dyspnea. Treatment may include the following:
Treatment to shrink or destroy the tumor
If a large airway is blocked by a tumor that is pressing on it from the outside, surgery may be done to place a stent (a thin tube) within the airway to keep it open.
- Steroid drugs to reduce the inflammation and swelling of lymph vessels in the lungs.
- Bronchodilators, medicines that are inhaled to open up the bronchioles (small airways) in the lungs.
- Diuretics and other drugs for heart failure.
- Antibiotics for chest infections. These may be combined with chest physical therapy.
- Opioids, to treat moderate to severe pain.
- Anticoagulants, for blood clots that are blocking blood vessels in the lungs.
Management of Symptoms of Dyspnea
Management of the symptoms of dyspnea may include the following: