What is the expected duration of Scrotal Tongue?

By  ,  Onlymyhealth editorial team
Oct 12, 2012

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

Quick Bites

  • It's condition in whihc the tongue develops cracks and grooves.
  • The grooves could be deep or shallow.
  • The grooves can occur on any side of the tongue.
  •  Scrotal tongue is a lifelong condition.

Scrotal tongue is condition when the tongue develops cracks and grooves. These grooves could be deep or shallow and can occur on any side of the tongue.  But most of the fissures occur on the middle of the tongue.  The condition is often harmless.

scrotal tongue

Characteristics of Scrotal Tongue

The characteristics include:

  • Appearance of cracks, grooves or clefts on tongue
  • The grooves affect the tongue
  • The grooves may be deep as 6 mili meters


Causes of Scrotal Tongue

The exact of cause is not known yet but some of the predicted causative factors that may cause scrotal tongue include:
polygenic mode of Inheritance
Melkeresson- Rosenthal Syndrome
Injury to oral cavity or tongue

grooves on the tongue


Since it harmless condition, it usually has no symptoms. But some common symptoms from deep groves include

  • Burning sensation on eating
  • Bad breath
  • Fungal infections on the tongue


What is the Expected Duration?

Scrotal tongue is a lifelong condition. It can neither be prevented nor treated.  It causes no harm or discomfort.


Image Courtesy : Getty
Read more articles on Understand Scrotal Tongue

Write a Review Feedback
Is it Helpful Article?YES10628 Views 0 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.