Acne is a common skin in the teenage years.Read to know some facts on acne and how long does acne last.
- Acne occurs most commonly in the teenage years and in the 20s. However the exact age up to which a person can continue having acne is not established. Most people note improvement in acne as they become older and it almost disappears by the time they enter their late twenties. But it can occur even in older people.
- Most people note improvement in acne in about three to four years after it starts. About 15% of the people can continue to have acne for 8-12 years and some people (about 5%), can continue to have acne beyond age 25 and even up to the age of 40.
- Most women notice a flare-up in the acne just before their menstrual period. This perhaps occurs due to hormonal changes (that is increase of androgens - the steroid hormones which causes the development and maintenance of male physical characteristics).
- Men tend to have more severe acne as they produce more of the male hormones that stimulate acne formation.
- Women who have a lot of body or facial hair, and irregular periods, may experience more acne problem. Consult your doctor to have your hormone levels evaluated.
However remember that acne can be treated and further breakouts can be prevented. Consult your doctor if your acne doesn’t improve with self-care and over-the-counter acne medications. Your doctor or dermatologist can find the best treatment and advice on how to deal with acne.
Read more articles on Understand Acne