Dengue is a mosquito borne disease that is caused by the dengue virus. The main features of dengue fever include sudden fever, skin rashes, joint pain, nausea and vomiting. The clinical manifestation of dengue ranges from self limiting dengue, asymptomatic to dengue hemorrhagic fever accompanied by the shock syndrome. Even though it is only some of cases of dengue that results in dengue shock syndrome (DSS) but if it does, it proves to be life threatening. DSS is more prevalent in children below ten years of age. The fatality rate amongst the patients with dengue shock syndrome is reported to be more than 44 percent.
Dengue Shock syndrome occurs when there is circulatory failure in dengue hemorrhagic fever, wherein pulse pressure goes down to â 20 mm Hg. In DSS the liver enzymes are elevated and the liver may become tender. The warning sign of dengue shock syndrome include:
These warning symptoms are indications that occur before the actual shock. A person with such symptoms must be immediately hospitalised to prevent dengue shock. When the symptoms of DSS are detected early and required treatment is given the cases of fatality is reported to be low but once the state of shock sets in mortality is reported to be relatively higher.
Main factor responsible for dengue shock syndrome is the Aedes Aegypti mosquito. When a healthy person is bitten by infected Aedes Aegypti the virus enters in the blood stream. Experts suggest that it is best to avoid being bitten by infected mosquitoes and be safe.
Read more related articles on Dengue
Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.