Causes of hyperglycemia (high blood pressure) for diabetics are very specific. People suffering from diabetes can develop two types of hyperglycemia:
- Fasting hyperglycemia – This occurs after the patient has fasted for 8 hours or more. The blood sugar level goes beyond 90-130 mg/dL.
- After meal hyperglycemia or Postprandial hyperglycemia – If the blood sugar level goes beyond 180 mg/dL right after the meal, it is considered to be hyperglycaemic. The normal blood sugar level after meal is 140 mg/dL. Although even in normal people, at times the blood sugar level does touch 180, but not all the time. If the patient’s blood glucose level is consistently high after meals and touches 180 mg/dL, he is at a high risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Hyperglycemia can be caused in diabetes by:
- Forgetting to take your insulin or oral medication for lowering glucose.
- Not taking due care in having carbohydrates. Eating too many carbohydrates for the amount of insulin taken, or having too much of carbohydrates in general.
- Not sticking to recommended daily intake of calories.
- Any medical condition that aggravates your blood sugar level.
- Undue stress.
- Decline in physical activity.
- Overstrain in physical activity.
If you are a diabetic and find yourself suffering from any of these signs, test your blood sugar level several times. Make sure that your condition is really persisting before calling your doctor.
The treatment usually involves reversing the effect of the causes mentioned above. They include:
- Drinking plenty of water.
- Need to exercise more. It helps to bring down your blood sugar level. Bear in mind the situations in which you should skip exercise. If you have type 1 diabetes reading more than 240 mg/dL, and there is presence of ketones in your urine, or if you have type 2 diabetes and your blood sugar level has crossed 300 mg/dL, exercise must be avoided.
- Ask a dietician to know the types of food you should be eating more as well as the right amount.
- You may be asked to change the amount, type and time of diabetes medication.
Hyperglycemia is a major health concern for diabetics. Having gone through the causes mentioned here, it can make your task of managing blood sugar better.
Read more articles on Diabetes Causes