Diabetics must take care to prepare their travel kit even when travelling for a day. It is often seen that the travelling kits for diabetics are completely ignored by them and fall prey to its complications. They need to have the essential supplies of diabetes management always with them. This would help them deal with all possible health problems that might crop up due to their condition.
Essentials of a Diabetes Travel Kit
- Glucose testing devices - You should be well equipped to test your blood sugar whenever you need to. Glucometer, test strips, lancet, lancing device and battery for back up of your glucometer are a must. Test your blood glucose as soon as you feel hyperglycaemic or hypoglycaemic.
- If you are travelling by airplane, you should be aware of the rules and regulations regarding carrying diabetic supplies on a plane.
- Important diabetic aid – Insulin syringes, pumps, insulin, alcohol swabs, juice and sharps containers are some important things to be included for complete diabetic aid.
- Air travel – The airport authorities allow you to carry all the supplies of diabetes management. The above mentioned supplies should be carried with you to be prepared for any diabetic complication. When aboard a plane, you should be prepared for any emergency of diabetes complication.
- Sweets – Hypoglycaemia is always a possibility in diabetics. When this occurs, it is required that the patient’s blood sugar be immediately brought back to normal healthy level. Fruit juice, sweetened milk, glucose tablets or even candies can help to raise your blood glucose within minutes. These are easy to carry and an important part of your diabetic kit.
- Medicines – Having medicines that bring down the risk of an emergency are also important for diabetics to carry when travelling. In particular, the diabetics who are dependent on insulin are prone to emergency situations. If you are an insulin-dependent diabetic, make sure you have adequate medications for controlling emergency situations. Be particularly careful if you are visiting a place where a pharmacy is not available close by.
- Fast acting glucose – A fast acting glucose is important for diabetics who are prone to have low blood sugar reactions. These come in the form of tablets and gels. It should not only be a part of your diabetes travel kit but you may also keep them handy in your pocket, wallet or briefcase.
So many things may look like a lot to carry around, but they are important. If you want to be reassured about managing or treating your condition, they are a must. You can perhaps get a specially made diabetes kit for carrying them with ease.