Is being a foodie weighing you down; literally? Well, there are millions of people worldwide whose weight issues stem from the fact that they have a big appetite. The key to healthy weight loss is the fact that you don’t starve yourself and give your body all that it needs by carefully cutting off all those extra fats and calories.
[Read: Simple Ways to Cut Calories]
Tips to lose weight
Add fibre to your diet
- Fibre helps the body’s metabolism so it is very important that you add fibre to your diet in order to shed those extra kilos.
- In fact, fibre is known to reduce a person’s hunger pangs by taking up space in the tummy.
- It makes a person feel full for a longer period of time thereby cutting calorie intake.
- Fibre rich foods are a great way for a healthy start to your day.
- Whole grains, oatmeal, green peas, broccoli, brown rice and red kidney beans are some foods that are high in dietary fibre.
[Read: Foods have the Highest Fiber Content]
Drink water before eating
- Most times we think we are hungry but all we need is a glass of refreshing water.
- The next time you feel like raiding the refrigerator give yourself 5 minutes. Stop and drink some water. If you feel satisfied then it was not a hunger pang at all.
- Moreover, drink a good amount of water before eating food. That way your stomach will feel full and you will eat less. This theory has in fact been ratified by a study conducted in 2010 which found that people who drank water right before eating lost as much as 5 pounds!
Snack before eating
- Yes you heard it right. According to experts moderate and healthy snacking right before a meal reduces one’s hunger pangs and the overall effect of this is less calorie intake.
- Therefore, eat a small snack when you start feeling hungry because that is the time when the body releases a hormone called ghrelin which indicates to your brain that you are hungry.
- Moreover, once you start eating it takes some time for the brain to register that you are full. What you need to do is accelerate this process with the snack. That way the brain will register the fact that you are full earlier and you will need to eat less food in order to feel satiated.
[Read: Some Tips for Regular Eating]
Change your plates
- This is the most effective advice for people with big appetites to lose weight.
- Bigger plates automatically add up to more food and hence, more calories. It is the temptation of size!
- Many people are drawn to eating more just because their huge plate is still not empty.
- Switch to smaller plates which will mean smaller portions and of course lesser calories!
- Eating fast will only make you feel like you have not eaten enough. And if this practice is continued then eventually it will increase your appetite.
- Eat slowly and chew your food well. That way your brain will realise that you are eating because like we said earlier that it does take some time for the body to relay the message that you are eating to your brain.
- Eating slowly will automatically cut down your appetite and aid weight loss.
Read more articles on Weight Loss