Spa treatments could be excellent for pregnant women, provided, you have indeed chosen them carefully. Remember, when you are indeed attending a spa during pregnancy, you are taking treatments for both you and your baby. Therefore, all the changes which have been brought about in your body and the physical problems you might be facing, needs to be addressed suitably. All sorts of treatments for pregnant women need to be administered as per the advice and guidance of your consulting gynaecologist or obstetrician.
Spa Treatments for Pregnant Women—Dos and Don’ts
Stick to the following guidelines when you seek spa treatments for yourself during pregnancy.
- The very first step is to let your spa therapist know about your pregnancy as soon as you get to know about it. This way, she will be able to keep you away from treatments which aren’t considered advisable during this time. Spa treatments often involve usage of certain herbs and natural formulations. Some of them might prove to be potentially harmful for the baby. Give your therapist the opportunity to suggest the right kind of treatments for you and abstain concealing facts.
- Stay away from whirlpools, steams and saunas as well as heat wraps at this time. Exposure to such extremes of temperature is not good for you.
- In case you are suffering from nausea, let your spa therapist know about it. Once she is aware of the fact, she will take extra care in placing you in a well ventilated room. Sometimes, the herbal incenses used in spas can also trigger morning sickness in pregnant women who are susceptible to it. In such cases, they would keep the fragrances mild, for a comfortable experience.
- Acne is common during pregnancy. Therefore, let your spa treatments include a mid pregnancy face treatment. A complete facial at this stage will unclog the oily pores and protect the skin from over accumulation of oil. This will keep acne, pimples and related skin problems at bay. A midterm facial will also take care of your natural glow. Glowing and happy mothers are known to produce healthier babies.
- As your weight increases along with the growth and development of the baby, the feet are indeed on the receiving end. They are forced to carry more weight than they are normally used to. Therefore, consider a foot therapy massage as a spa treatment option, especially during the advanced months of your pregnancy. Also, trying to apply nail polish on your own at this stage would be next to impossible. Therefore, a foot spa is one of the most relaxing treatments you can opt for when in the advanced stages of being pregnant.
- Treating your belly to a moisturising scrub treatment could also be one of most relaxing experiments during the final months of pregnancy. However, your therapist needs to be an expert masseur for the same.
Keeping these simple points in mind can assure you of a safe and relaxing time at the spa, when you are pregnant. Just stick to whatever makes you feel comfortable and avoid going overboard.
Read more articles on During Pregnancy