Sound of your Voice could Point at your Height

By  ,
Dec 04, 2013

Subscribe for daily wellness inspiration

Like onlymyhealth on Facebook!

voice to tell your heightNew study says that the sound of your voice is enough to determine you approximate height, and this can happen without seeing you.

The researchers had men and women listening to recordings of identical sentences that were read by men and women of different heights. These listeners were then asked to rank the speakers from the tallest to the shortest.

The results that came showed that the listeners were about 62 percent accurate in identifying the taller speakers. This rate was even higher than what can be achieved by chance. Therefore, this study was presented at an Acoustical Society of America meeting in San Francisco. This finding could be very helpful in solving crimes is what the researchers noted.

"One would certainly like to know if, when an 'ear witness,' as they are often called, says that a talker's voice seemed 'tall' or 'large,' this information can be trusted. The answer seems to be yes," study author John Morton, a psychologist at Washington University in St. Louis, said in a society news release.

Morton says that this ability could be attributed to the type of sound that is called subglottal resonance. This is produced in the lower airways of the lungs.

The frequency of the subglottal resonance differs depending on a person's height, with resonances becoming progressively lower as height increases.

Read more on Health News

Write a Review Feedback
Is it Helpful Article?YES1 Vote 1140 Views 0 Comment
Post a Comment

Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.