Short bowel syndrome refers to a group of problems that are related to poor absorption of nutrients. This occurs in those people who have had half or more of their small intestine removed. The bowel is made of the small intestine and large intestine, which is also called the colon.
Most of the digestion of food and absorption of nutrients happens in the small intestine. Those people who suffer from short bowel syndrome cannot absorb enough vitamins, water and some other nutrients from food that are necessary for sustain life.
• Short bowel syndrome is a group of diseases related to poor absorption of nutrients and digestion of food. These problems arise in people who have had half or more of their small intestine removed.
• People suffering from short bowel syndrome cannot absorb enough vitamins, water and other nutrients from the food they eat to sustain their life.
• The main symptom of short bowel syndrome is diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration, weight loss and malnutrition.
• Treatment of short bowel syndrome may include oral rehydration solutions, enteral nutrition, parenteral nutrition and medications. Some patients may have to go through intestinal transplant.
• Researchers have been studying different ways to help the remaining small intestine post surgery to adapt and function in a better way.
Read more articles on Short Bowel Syndrome.
Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.