A team of researchers from the Weill Cornell Medical College in the US claim that a certain food poisoning bacterium could be implicated in multiple sclerosis.
To do the study, the researchers had carried out lab tests in mice. The tests revealed that a certain toxin that was made by a rare strain of clostridium perfringens lead one to have damage like multiple sclerosis in the brain.
Even though they have found that this food bug can be of possible threat to a person, experts urge people to take caution stating that there needs to be more evidence for the finding. No one today knows the exact reason why multiple sclerosis happens, but it is possible that a mixture of genetic as well as environmental factors play a role.
Multiple sclerosis is a neurological condition that affects at least 100,000 people in the UK.
A lot of cases of human infection happen as a result of food poisoning and these include stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc that usually resolve in just a day. In the rarest cases, the infection can lead to development of gas gangrene.
The latest findings of the study were presented at a meeting of the American Society for Microbiology.
Image source: Getty Images
Article source: BBC News
Read more Health News.
Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; Onlymyhealth assumes no liability for the same. Using any information of this website is at the viewers’ risk. Please be informed that we are not responsible for advice/tips given by any third party in form of comments on article pages . If you have or suspect having any medical condition, kindly contact your professional health care provider.