However easy an abortion process may sound, there are some emotional as well as medical reasons against getting an abortion done. Let us understand the reasons against abortion.
- Anything that is unnatural to the body or causes a reversal in bodily actions causes stress. In certain extreme cases, stress can lead to psychological setbacks causing hallucination in women and even pseudo pregnancy.
- An act or a thought of abortion comes with an intention leading to the impairment of life taking birth inside the womb. There are numerous cases where women, within marriage, plan abortions, specifically those who do not wish to start a family.
- The most common medical reason against abortion is that women undergoing more than one abortion, usually develop complexities during the next time they conceive. Cases of ectopic pregnancies have often occurred in women who have aborted their foetuses once or more than once in life. Other complications such as pelvic inflammatory diseases and miscarriages also tend to occur.
- Most women think of abortion as an alternative to contraception. This is the most common misconception causing physical damage to the structure of the womb. Women, who do not wish to conceive, should use protection, such as take abortion pills or morning-after pills to safeguard themselves against any risk.
- Many teenagers or unmarried women get frequent abortions done due to a visible lack of experience and planning. It wrecks their health.
NHS Choices states that there is a low risk of problems occurring during an abortion. However, there are more likely to be problems if an abortion is carried out later in a pregnancy.
The risks associated with abortions are:
- haemorrhage (excessive bleeding) – occurs in about one in every 1,000 abortions
- damage to the cervix (the entrance of the womb) – occurs in no more than 10 in every 1,000 abortions
- damage to the womb – occurs in up to four in every 1,000 abortions during surgical abortion, and less than one in 1,000 medical abortions carried out at 12-24 weeks
Contraception or an abstinence from sexual intercourse are other alternatives that women have to avoid abortions and it’s after effects.
Read more articles on Abortion.